Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What fabric and pattern should I use for this?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By RainbowMoonDust. 17/02/10, 05:14 pm

I'm planning on cosplay Malik Ishtar from Yu-Gi-Oh! for ChchGeddon and other events, I'm going to start making his outfit at the sewing meet this weekend. Trouble I'm not sure what fabric and pattern to use for his top, images below.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

For the pattern, I had thought about using a hoodie/sweatshirt pattern but am not sure as most hoodies tend to be baggy and Malik's top while not skintight is still close fitting. (Refer to images above). I'm toying with idea of using two patterns, a sleeveless top one and a hooded top one to make it but I dunno, isn't there an easier way to do this? :think: Does there exist a pattern out there for this kind of top?

I don't think the fabric is of the sweatshirt variety to me, it looks too light and is obviously not stretch, it seems like a rather light fabric to me but that's just my opinion, I really know nothing when it comes to fabric. sweatdrop But I think sweatshirt material (Or anything to heavy or stretchy) would be wrong so I would rather not use those kinds of materials. So my question is, what kind of fabric would be good for his top?

Also, does anyone in Chch want to go fabric/prop shopping with me on thurs, fri or saturday? (Preferably in the afternoon) because that's when I'll be buying stuff and any help is appreciated, even more so if it's in person. whee nodnod
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Re: What fabric and pattern should I use for this?!
Post By Tails. 17/02/10, 06:39 pm

Could you use a hoodie pattern just for the hood & adjust the torso part to be shorter & less baggy? You'd just need to take it in more & make it shorter. Maybe cut out a newspaper pattern first so you don't waste material ^^
Tails
L

Number of posts : 3004
Transforms into : a Vulpix
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/TailsCosplay

Post By Mandie_Chan. 18/02/10, 12:17 am

I has a pattern you can use for the top!!!

as for fabric... hmmmmmm something with a bit of stretch so it can go over your head. I'm thinking sweatshirt material (but that could be because I've seen some for $4m lol)

another thing is that the fabric you get can't be see through, unless you plan on making it with 2 layers~
Mandie_Chan
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 6753
Transforms into : Epic Baker of DOOOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 18/02/10, 12:44 am

Quote :
I has a pattern you can use for the top!!!

ILU Mandie! chuu~! Very Happy Can you bring it to the sewing meet, pretty please? puppyeyes

I was thinking of putting an invisible zip in this, I'm still not sure sweatshirt material would look right. :think: I think the problem is going to be finding the right material in that particular colour. I might just have to work with whatever fabric I can find in that shade ... :think: XD

Mandie! Come shopping with me ... please?!!! puppyeyes
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 18/02/10, 12:53 am

I have a top in that is made of fabric that would be perfect for that. The top is a very similar design (although cut for a girl). Its quite stiff even without bones or stiffener and it sits away from my body the way you want that one to.
The tag says the fabric is 5%spandex, 25% polyester, 70% Nylon. I have no idea where you'd look for fabric like that, but it does exist!

Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 18/02/10, 12:00 pm

How would 100% Polyester work for something like this? I saw some in fabric vision today in the colour I wanted but the guy said it would be loose fitting, aside from that it seems good. :think: I'm not really sure, fabric n00b here. sweatdrop
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-