Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Astal - Help with fabric selection

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By creature124. 02/02/10, 06:22 am

Okay, so. I am attempting a costume-making project far to grand and complicated for my meager non-existent sewing and general costuming skill. THIS IS WHERE YOU GUYS COME IN.

Here is what I am attempting to make:

Naturally, I don't even know where to start, so I think I'll just start at the beginning - fabric. I know nothing on the topic, so my questions are thus:

What sort of fabric am I looking for? The design on the pants looks like it might be pressed into or embossed on somehow, and I guess the type of fabric would be relevant to that. I'm sure there are other considerations for other parts of the costume too, so all input on the subject would be appreciated.

I am thinking of starting with the shirt because it strikes me as the easiest thing to make - should I be looking for fabric that has that lined pattern (I think it is called pinstripe?) on it?

All advice appreciated. I really don't have any idea what I am doing or looking for, so don't gloss over anything out of an assumption that I already know, because I don't. I'm in so far over my head :\
creature124
Winner of the Keen Designer Award

Number of posts : 1948
Transforms into : Trollmon
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Astal - Help with fabric selection
Post By Pura. 02/02/10, 02:16 pm

For the main top thing and pants I'd say to use Twill or Drill, which is just thick cotton stuff (AND AWESOME.).

And at spotlight, and I assume other fabric shops, you can get fake leather like stuff, which could possibly used for the belts, bags and arm thing. (I think it could work at least xP). Pleather maybe?

For the shirt ... Idk. Maybe a cotton? But if you can find a pin striped material like that one, then I assume it would look pretty good.

... //not much help >__>;;
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By acidpinkbunny. 02/02/10, 02:27 pm

Hmmm dunno how easy it will be to find a fabric with pin-stripes that wide. I agree a stiff cotton would probably work best, though it may need to be interfaced in order to keep the collar like that. (But then, I'm a wee bit in love with interfacing and use it for everything.)
As Pura said there are always vinyls and stuff you can get from Spotlight and for the pouches and bracers you can get an amazingly awesome pattern pack from Butterick with patterns for both in them. Uh.. Pattern number is Butterick B5371. It's beautiful.
For the pants you'll probably need to decide how you're planning to do that pattern before deciding on fabrics as some work better for different techniques than others.
I love that you're tackling this though. I'm currently in the process of working out a cosplay so stupidly over-epic it'll probably kill me. It's the only way to live.
Hope I was at all helpful!
acidpinkbunny
Tophat

Number of posts : 141
Transforms into : Rush Recklessly
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 02/02/10, 02:32 pm

First step for a beginner I think should be to break it down into separate components, and look for garments to modify, or patterns to create the basic structure. The pants I think can just be made out of a trackpants pattern - maybe make them a bit bigger and poofier, and the design on the front can be embroidered/painted/whatever.

With the shirt - could you find a zip-front shirt that would do? You can make the zipper pull and hook that on, and there's that done :) The jacket looks like you could have a bit of luck with a poet's shirt/pirate shirt pattern with those sleeves...

Fabric - twill or drill would be really good. I'd recommend something with a big of stretch to it, so maybe not drill, but definitely stick to cottons and cotton blends if you can - they'e lovely and easy to sew with!

...I'll try and find you a tutorial on breaking up pattern pieces to create the two different panels of colour in his shirt. It's pretty straight forward, you just need to remember seam allowances and piece it together carefully.
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By creature124. 03/02/10, 10:21 am

Thanks much guys, that gives me a solid starting point. Still, I think I will need to talk someone into coming fabric shopping/pattern hunting with me the first time at least, I feel rather out of depth 8D

@Static - Hurr, I don't think I have EVER seen a shirt with a zip front :\ So maybe not, though there is an opshop nearby so I guess I will have a look.
creature124

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 03/02/10, 01:59 pm

agreed-- with the undershirt, i'm sure there'd be a ribbed jersey/top that has a zip front, they're fairly common if my opshop scrounging is anything to go by. i would personally say it's ribbed and not pinstriped, though (and would probably be easier/look better in the long run?)

SUBVERSIVE GURGLINGS -- A COSPLAY BLOG || latest post: how to make a katamari head [katamari damacy]
LEVEL UP - a ke$ha's tik tok pokemon parody

h.d. theory.

'united we sew, divided we derp.'
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 03/02/10, 02:02 pm

Argh. I'd love to come with you fabric shopping, but I'm not going to be in Aucks any time that will be of any use. x___x
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By creature124. 03/02/10, 02:07 pm

Thats fine, I'm currently organizing an expedition of sorts for this weekend. I really, really need to get underway :\ I guess I'm also going to have to find money for a sewing machine too.
creature124

Back to top Go down

Post By Rowan. 03/02/10, 02:10 pm

For the undertop you could do something like this black top
Spoiler:

although that might be too hard, so ribbed material might be better.

Future Cosplays | Lady Loki - Marvel || Loki - The Avengers || Sailor Neptune - Sailor Moon || Rogue -X-men Evolution || Prince Gumball - Adventure Time
Rowan
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1257
Transforms into : A free, free bird.
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down
http://ladyarbuthnott.deviantart.com

Post By Rolly. 03/02/10, 02:29 pm

Greg, last time I went into Harvey Norman they had Brother BM2600's on special at $212. However I got mine for $168, so look out for any HN clearances/specials.

I was going to suggest lots and lots of seams for the undershirt, but Rowan bet me to it. Very Happy But that might be a bit hard for a complete beginner... ^_^

Spotlight is having a clearance sale right now, so I'd strongly advise popping in for a look. And get a VIP card, you get specials that way. :3
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 03/02/10, 02:51 pm

i also suggest looking on trademe-- a lot of them do work & they're a lot cheaper. <: /is on msn any time you need help!

SUBVERSIVE GURGLINGS -- A COSPLAY BLOG || latest post: how to make a katamari head [katamari damacy]
LEVEL UP - a ke$ha's tik tok pokemon parody

h.d. theory.

'united we sew, divided we derp.'
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Stuntman Mike. 03/02/10, 03:07 pm

Maybe some nylon? Something synthetic. You might need slightly loose material to get those folds and shapes happening. The stuff used in wets suits may help too.  
Edit: I'm no expert mind you. 
Stuntman Mike
Soldier A

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Post By Guest. 03/02/10, 03:11 pm

No use Post:
When I look at that Costume I think Etched Velvet...its heavy like velvet and the shadow of the design on the pants gives the effect of etching...

What's the character like...sometimes you can discover the fabric etc that was used/could be used from the Characters...er...character...

SS

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 03/02/10, 03:52 pm

The pants look like they could be made either from suede or velvet. Or some magical fabric Hyung-tae Kim has just invented. <---the last one.

I think you could get some interesting velvety effects by using sweat shirting fleece the fuzzy side out- When I was learning to sew I started out with sweatshirting - it doesn't fray and is well behaved. You could then cut the swirly bits out of felt and glue them on. (You could outline the motifs with puffy/shiny fabric paint to give them some omph too)

The pattern could be a simple begginers PJ pattern cut a few sizes too large for poofiness (apart from the elastic in the waist band- which should fit) then tucked into boots.

Look for patterns like this:
http://www.simplicity.com/c-160-its-so-easy.aspx Most pattern companies have a range of begginer patterns to help you learn stuff.
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By creature124. 03/02/10, 11:48 pm

Woo, and to think I was worried that nobody would bother to reply. Thanks much all, me and my quickly-forming panel of experts will figure out how best I should proceed this weekend C:
creature124

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 05/02/10, 06:46 am

If it doesn't break any contest rules, I'll draft the pattern and send it up to you for the jacket.
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 05/02/10, 07:02 am

^Since you're all in the same gropu I'm fairly certain it's fine, as it'd just come under helping others/sharing the workload.
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By creature124. 05/02/10, 10:15 am

Static wrote:
If it doesn't break any contest rules, I'll draft the pattern and send it up to you for the jacket.

*o* Okay, you are totally my favorite person. I've spent many minutes staring at the jacket with a blank look on my face -_- Don't strain yourself over it though, I know you are busy!
creature124

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 05/02/10, 10:38 am

Haha, all good. I have heaps on my plate, but I need to mix it up a bit or I get frustrated and ALL work just stops. This will be a fun little project, and I will even type the instructions up so you don't have to deal with my spider-having-a-seizure handwriting Razz
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By creature124. 05/02/10, 10:39 am

Well okay then! You win five warm fuzzies.
creature124

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 05/02/10, 10:50 am

Haha! Redeemable for cash? Crack? Win? Very Happy

Ohbut - can you send me any reference images you have please? From as many angles as you can; I'll get it as accurate as possible. Also, measurements, I'll try and get it so you don't have to tailor it too much.
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down