Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggestions of how to make a Witch Hunter helmet

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Kitty of Doom. 22/01/10, 09:48 am

I'm planning to cosplay a Witch Hunter character, Aria Godspell but I have been puzzling over what method and materials to make the helmet with. Here is what the helmet looks like.

Spoiler:

Here are some other witches from the series in case it helps with telling what the helmet is made of.

Spoiler:

For clarity, I'm doing the girl in the first spoiler tag and would like some help in working out how to make it
Kitty of Doom
Winner of the Beginner's Luck Award

Number of posts : 927
Transforms into : giant-omnomnoming-cookie-mon
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions of how to make a Witch Hunter helmet
Post By Rolly. 22/01/10, 11:48 am

I dunno, you could use some lightweight wire to hold it up, and put stuffing inside it? Make yourself a sort of wire stand thing on a head band so when you put your hat over it it dangles from the stand?

You know .hack//?? They have massive hats as well and I once saw a tutorial making it as like, a plushie with stuffing inside it.

If the witches are of like, sort of a royal elegant type, I'd say some velvety fabric for the red?

I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 22/01/10, 12:25 pm

If you make a wire cage in the shape you want the hat and then stuff it, that'll make it stay in place and... be... big. Ya know. xD

I cosplayed Saku from .hack//G.U once and she has a hat just as large as those ones, so I've tested this method and I know it works. 8D

EDIT: Actually, the helmet-hat thing looks like a mix of fabric and hard materials-- I'm not sure how you'd make the solid bits. ._.;;
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Kitty of Doom. 22/01/10, 04:06 pm

Rolly: Wire cage is good but I would constantly be worried about whether I would bend it out of shape

Pyro: That's the problem, the mixture of fabric and hard material

Also, I heard a few months ago about something that was sometimes used in props but I can't remember what it was called. Each piece is 1 inch thick and you can put them together and then cut it to the shape you want. Possibly craft foam. A possibility?
Kitty of Doom
Winner of the Beginner's Luck Award

Number of posts : 927
Transforms into : giant-omnomnoming-cookie-mon
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post By Cookie Monster. 22/01/10, 04:30 pm

Kitty of Doom wrote:
Rolly: Wire cage is good but I would constantly be worried about whether I would bend it out of shape
Put a thin layer of Paper Mache over the top, or both sides.
Cookie Monster
Superman

Number of posts : 254
Transforms into : Fruit and Veggie Monster :(
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 23/01/10, 05:06 am

@Kitty Doom I think it's craft foam, yeah. Great for prop making. Maybe you can stabilise the wire cage with some craft foam? I do not have enough exp with craft foam to say if this is possible. D:
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 23/01/10, 05:53 am

Will wire not damage the craft foam if great care is not taken?

Rolly wrote:
If the witches are of like, sort of a royal elegant type, I'd say some velvety fabric for the red?

Maybe swade or velvet or wool or similar for the hat? If you can match the clothes close, but not perfectly, as in the picture.

I would say the dress could be Linen, probably not cotton unless it's a good poplin, could even be silk? And the overcoat, maybe swade if you can find a good one, but traditionally it's a red wool cloak. However the compromise is to make it drape properly, while being swishable, and not just weighing the skirt down.

Pyro wrote:
EDIT: Actually, the helmet-hat thing looks like a mix of fabric and hard materials-- I'm not sure how you'd make the solid bits. ._.;;

Does not have to be super rigid? PVC, backed fabric, card, fabric backed with layers of lining or cardboard. Or some collars I have seen you have a stiff type of plastic stuff you sew the collar over top of. The flannel check shirt I am wearing now has some in the points at the ends of the collars.

Or stiffened with use of a frame. And esp for circular shapes you can use bendable plastic under tension. Like the modern tent poles for pup tents, where they are sewn into guides on the seams, hence they hold the fabric under tension. Then you can even use ripstop nylon as a fabric. Micheala the judge even suggested two dollar shops have something cheap and bendable for hoop skirts. But same principle. As a last resort you can also cross brace with wires or string.
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-