Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[HELP] Touhou Yakumo Yukari

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Rolly. 28/12/09, 11:59 am

Oh, cosplay gods, a lowly amateur needs your help... orz
Here's what I need help on....
Spoiler:

Hat:
I don't know what to use for the red ribbon on the hat. I'm thinking of making the shape with wire, but I don't know what sort of fabric/material I should use to cover it. Should I use ribbon, or something else? How do I attach it onto the hat without it falling off or pulling teh hat down every 3 seconds?

Spoiler:

White dress, sleeves:
Red ribbon underneath the puffed sleeve. I know how to make a short puffed sleeve, but I don't know how to make a long puffed sleeve. Should I use red ribbon for that stripe? Would my hand/arm get through fine? How do I make the sleeves billow out at the end?

White dress - skirt:
I will need a pattern/know how to make those layered frilly things down on the bottom. There's 3 layers so I need to know how to attach them together without ugly seam lines in the middle of a layer.

I know I'll need a petticoat underneath, mmm.

Spoiler:

Purple China dress overlay thing:
How I do/will I wear this? How do I get that over my head?
How do I get the patterns on (the tai chi circle mainly)? Appliqué, painting, etc? What is teh most ideal way to put the flames and taichi circle on?
How do I make the top bit where the 'frog mouth' (sp?) button things are?
Should I make those side red ribbon things detachable so it'll be easier to put on?
EDIT: forgot to ask about the black trimming - do I use a strip(s) of fabric for this? Never done trimming before.

I think that's it for the time being. :)
Greatly appreciated if you could help out! <3

Last edited by Rolly on 28/12/09, 02:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: [HELP] Touhou Yakumo Yukari
Post By Static. 28/12/09, 01:03 pm

For the hat:

Just cut a big circle of fabric, and sew a channel for elastic to go through - it'll sit on your head like a maid's cap. The ribbon can probably be stiffened enough with a very lightweight wire (or even some plastic boning) to hold it's shape, and then just go on a bit of elastic to go around the hat. If you lin it up with the existing elastic, it'll be more or less invisible.

For the sleeves:

Long puffed sleeves are just the same as short ones - only longer. Razz I can't explain it very well, so here's a diagram...
Spoiler:

Basically you lengthen a shorter sleeve piece and sew a casing (or just directly onto the fabric) for elastic and gather it where you normally would, so that the length of the sleeve falls below it. The bit I've done in red is an alternative - you sew a short sleeve, stitch it to a stay, and then gather a longer bit and sew that to the other side of the stay, the stitch up the main armpit seam, and you're good!

Dress:

...not sure what you're asking here...but easiest way to do it is to do a could of skirts same fullness, different length, and on the longer (bottom) one, add a few more layers of frills. The seams shouldn't show...?

Purple bit:

Just make a normal chinese dress, but make it narrower so it won't meet at the sides. Put it on over your head, and fasten at the sides where those red bits are, like a netball bib. :3
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Rolly. 28/12/09, 01:17 pm

Okay, basically for the white skirt I'm not sure how to get the layers at all. I'm thinking of sewing the all 3 bits of fabric together at the top, but the pieces are cut at different lengths. Does that make sense of what I'm trying to do? (If someone has a pattern, <3).

I found a Youtube tutorial for the hat, so I should Be able to make it without much problems.
When you say the ribbon should go on a bit of elastic, do you mean I should cut a small hole on the line of the channel of elastic, and sew it onto the elastic underneath? Or a seperate piece of elastic? (A diagram would help :) ).

Is a casing like a channel thing for ribbon/elastic to go through?

//worships Static, always the first one to post on (my) help threads. orz
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 28/12/09, 02:00 pm

The Strips on the side of the Panel/Chinese thing (lol) use Bias tape...I know a good place that sells 5cm wide Black Satin Bias at only AUS$1.50 a metre (I just got 3m for my Corsets) If you like I can get some for you...?

As for the Dress/Skirt: I spent like 3 months researching Kaylee's Shindig Dress from Firefly which, even with it 9 layers is kinda made the same way...

Do you mean the Frills or the actual Skirt Layers btw?

Cut two/three long strips, 1 and 1/2 times the width of the Skirt and sew them on UPSIDE DOWN so when they fall down you don't get the raw edge...

SS

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 28/12/09, 07:06 pm

Petticoats ... you commission me i make easily

remember my suiseiseki cosplay ... yeah its about the same size 8DDD
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Rolly. 29/12/09, 07:46 am

@SilkS I mean the actual skirt layers itself... I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it'll work well. :/

Lol, Alena, you. I'll ask for a quote, mmm? I already have the fabric/netting form last year. <3
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 29/12/09, 08:29 am

8D idk XD it doesnt take me too long to make one if i have a whole day to do it so maybe $30 - $50 commission 8D

btw do you want yukari for before DO?
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 30/12/09, 01:38 am

Well, for the layers, just do the Longest layer
and then shortest layer and just make the middle layer like I said
before, but make sure the edge is up high enough that you think its
actually another layer Very Happy It'll be lighter and will need less fabric...

Also, I remembered what the overlay thingy is called! a Tabard! Very Happy Yay for things you think of in the shower..LOL

SS

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-