Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Material for Wolverine cosplay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Material for Wolverine cosplay?
Post By level10. 13/12/09, 11:23 am

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing Sniktbub and the X-Bubs/Astonishing X-Men Wolverine for Chchgeddon and am wondering what will be the best material to use? I'd like to avoid cotton/lycra/anything similar for obvious reasons and am not too militant on staying 100% true to source. Ideally I'd like the costume to look like it's actually functional, this is the most important point in my opinion. Let me make this absolutely clear: the costume will NOT be body hugging, but will still be relatively snug.

Reference images:

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance guys. By the way, I know next to nothing about material, so treat me like an idiot. But only this once. I mean it. Really.
level10
Zenbu

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Material for Wolverine cosplay?
Post By Guest. 13/12/09, 11:42 am

It'd be a killer to sew, but pleather would be super. :] That's all I can offer, as I am a nub too. XD

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 13/12/09, 11:46 am

I'll be watching this thread for material ideas too, as I'm doing Bishop in this Xmen group... and I suck at sewing right now, but come March, I will be Awsum.

Addit: Hey Level10, I finally found a post by you on this forum! Woot!

Last edited by TinTango on 13/12/09, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Kitten Slave. 13/12/09, 11:49 am

stare
And I soh wanted to suggest some tight body snug material....

Kitten Slave
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2977
Transforms into : A horny school girl.
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 13/12/09, 12:41 pm

@Kitten: That's because you're a dirty flirt!

@Level10: A medium-heavy weight stretch cotton would work - it's heavy enough to not show off things best not shown off, and should hold shape quite nicely. Make sure it has a bit of stretch, or it won't sit as nicely as it should - you'll probably need a tiny bit of stretch so you don't hulk out of it at the shoulders/back and so the pants in particular will fit nicely and not look like schoolpants. In yellow. Very Happy

Bengaline stretch is a great fabric, but may be a little bit light - if you go to Spotlight and find Panama Stretch, that weight or heavier should be ideal; and probably something with a texture similar to cotton drill. Spotlight are patchy at best at carrying this kind of thing; when I get fabric like this for commissions (I use it all the time, it's really versatile and flattering and usually cheap) first port of call is the Fabric Warehouse. There's one around Khyber Pass Road somewhere, from memory? I've only been to the auckland one once! You should find something suitable there :)

Oh, yes - if you get something with a high cotton %, there should be some around 97% cotton/3% spandex or lycra, it will dye beautifully. Again, I do this a lot for commissions, it's really handy Very Happy Especially since this fabric is always available in white and NOTHING ELSE ARGH.

.....long post got long. Good luck!!
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By level10. 13/12/09, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
level10