Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scarlet Witch Help Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Le_Saboteur. 02/12/09, 03:41 am

I'm having a brain meltdown figuring out how to do Scarlet Witch's body armour stuff! I've already decided I'm doing it in two pieces, a bodice part and probably something like hot pants as I don't want to walk around in red underwear all day, but other than that- aghh.

The bodice part looks like a combination of fabric and armour (the armour being the plate-like bits running down the centre), that's what is mainly making my grey matter all melty. Some screencaps~

Spoiler:

Wow, those are dark. I'll edit this post when I get home and can take some myself. The last pic isn't Wolverine and the X-Men version but it's fairly close to what she wears in the cartoon. Reference pics of Scarlet Witch for the show are few and far between.

How the heck do you integrate fabric and armour (probably foam) into one piece with it looking good? I didn't want to do all foam because I wanted something more form fitting and not something huge and bulky. I've found a lot of extremely helpful amrour making tutorials online, but nothing yet that addresses this kind of problem. Has any one here tried it?

If any one has any other suggestions of what I could do that would look similar without the armour, I would be grateful for those, too!

My other question was: her headpiece, hooow? I've seen a few people making it out of cardboard, does any one have any other suggestions that would look more 3D? It's quite pointy and... smoothed, if you know what I mean? Can you do papier mache pieces that are that pointy?

Thanks to any one who takes the time to answer! Sorry for my general noobishness <3
Le_Saboteur
lucky*

Number of posts : 1202
Transforms into : The Mare in the Moon
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlet Witch Help Thread
Post By Guest. 02/12/09, 03:49 am

You could extend the corset (possibly without bones?) down into the shorts. Like one of those elastic body suits in farmers?

For the armour, you could make the center panel (or two) on the corset really stiff and work the armour shapes into it with quilting, or by layering stiffened fabric onto the softer fabric.

ACTUALLY: Thought. Are those suppossed to represent armour, or are they suppossed to represent heavy duty abdominal muscles? Coz... this is Marvel we're talking about here. If they are acutally suppossed to be abs, I'd say leave them out. Fake abs look extremely peculiar.

Back to top Go down

Post By Le_Saboteur. 02/12/09, 04:51 am

u_ne_korn wrote:
You could extend the corset (possibly without bones?) down into the shorts. Like one of those elastic body suits in farmers?

I did think about that, but I'm worried that a body suit would far exceed my skill level to the point of me giving up in frustration.

Quote :
For the armour, you could make the center panel (or two) on the corset really stiff and work the armour shapes into it with quilting, or by layering stiffened fabric onto the softer fabric.

Great idea! I will definitely have to think about that. It's just that the centre panels are really shiny compared to the rest of the corset/body suit thing she's wearing.

Quote :
ACTUALLY: Thought. Are those suppossed to represent armour, or are they suppossed to represent heavy duty abdominal muscles? Coz... this is Marvel we're talking about here. If they are acutally suppossed to be abs, I'd say leave them out. Fake abs look extremely peculiar.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be armour plating or something. It's a different colour and looks shinier than the rest of the outfit. That would be pretty lulzy, though, and right on track for Marvel!

Thanks u_ne_korn!
Le_Saboteur
lucky*

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 02/12/09, 07:25 am

For the fake-ab-stomach-armour, you could try stitching a layer of batting in-between the outer fabric and the lining? Stitching along the lines where you want the definitions to be and then misting spraypaint/laquer/SOMETHING over it would give you the armour look without having the piss about with sticking stuff on.

This chick (lol, cosplayer-turned-pr0nstar - beware the S-X costume section, it links off to her new site) did a Dawn costume with similar ab stuff: http://www.alisakiss.com/alisachan/dawnbattle.htm I think she just stuck hers on, but if you can make it more secure, I would. But I'm awfully prone to falling out of mine, so you know. I like sturdy things Razz
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Le_Saboteur. 03/12/09, 01:05 am

Static wrote:
For the fake-ab-stomach-armour, you could try stitching a layer of batting in-between the outer fabric and the lining? Stitching along the lines where you want the definitions to be and then misting spraypaint/laquer/SOMETHING over it would give you the armour look without having the piss about with sticking stuff on.

Wait. How did I not think of this. LACQUER OMG. I didn't even think you could use that kind of thing on fabric (too porous or something my brain said). Must try!

Quote :
This chick (lol, cosplayer-turned-pr0nstar - beware the S-X costume section, it links off to her new site) did a Dawn costume with similar ab stuff: http://www.alisakiss.com/alisachan/dawnbattle.htm I think she just stuck hers on, but if you can make it more secure, I would. But I'm awfully prone to falling out of mine, so you know. I like sturdy things Razz

And that was why I didn't want bright red thigh boots. Her idea looks pretty good too, I'll give both a go soon. Thank you!
Le_Saboteur
lucky*

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 03/12/09, 01:20 am

Hehe, good luck! I don't know how well a spray-laquer will go either, but if it's enamel-based it should be okay? Maybe use a backing to the fabric that *isn't* porous, PVC or plastic or something, and that should help. Or spraypaint then laquer? Rowan had some amazing results with misting spraypaint onto fabric for her Abel costume at aucks this year, she should be able to give some pointers :)
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By neimhaille. 03/12/09, 02:30 pm

Woot! Not a contest thread ;) No advice but just a bit or warning: Enamel is now on my banned list of products ;). It will make vinyl tacky and is a brittle paint. My Dawn boots need the enamel taken off and get a good dose of new paint. My Leia belt has been replaced a few times too because of enamel issues.

The two types of rattle can paint you want are Acrylic or Lacquer. Both are available from Repco for less than $20. And don't listen to any saleman who tells you it's a special shipment or doesn't exist. Though I got that at Mitre 10 not Repco. I'd recommned acrylic first though as laqcquers tend to be translucent. Ange and I have used a fair amount on her guitar and boots this year and it doesn't like metal and likes a base coat ;)
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1