Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Changes to cosplay contest

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Changes to cosplay contest
Post By PIe. 01/11/09, 11:05 am

Narya wrote:
JVCA wrote:
Selphiroth wrote:
neimhaille wrote:

The only non changes I can guarantee will be : forms in on time, safety safety safety and excellence will be rewarded.

So... My plan of making a functional flamethrower with a supersoaker, some flint and lighter fluid is probably a bad idea?

;D

Or my plan of bringing my metal Katana?

Or my husbands plan of my costume being able to electrocute people, including myself?

Or my death ray?
PIe
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2070
Transforms into : The Goddamn Batman
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down
http://Personified-Insanity.deviantart.com

Post By Static. 01/11/09, 11:11 am

Hmmmm. I raged a bit at this thread, but hey; I'm a snarky beatch Very Happy

Personally I really, REALLY appreciate the work the judges do! Particularly since learning more about sewing and finishing work myself, it's really awesome to see Michaela looking at seams and hems and appreciating the tiny details - you really do need a judge who knows as much about all the different costuming techniques as possible, and this is why Michaela is awesome :)

Re: same person winning more than once; I agree with most people. If someone is the best in more than one category, they win in more than category. Simple! It might be a little hurtypainy for people who don't win, but really - you have two options. You can get all butthurt and not enter again (in which case you lose out) or you can take it as encouragement to try again and make a better one next year.

The last two contests I was in I *knew* I wouldn't win, because my costumes were simple and although they were (reasonably) well made, they weren't a patch on anything more elaborate. So what? I entered to see everyone else, and show off to people who appreciate being shown off to - if you only ever enter to win, you're missing out on everything else the competition offers.

I think certificates/medals/ribbons are a great idea, but you really do need people to organise and pay for things like that, and with all the work Michaela and Ange do already, it's not surprising there just isn't time. If people volunteer the certs or whatever, that's fine - but as I understand it, Bill gets final say.

It was really disappointing to hear some of the cosplayers in the comp being catty about the Best in Show winners - have a little faith in your judges, guys. It's not all about what you see on stage, and the judges know the costumes better than anyone bar the people who made them. And like they say, they're happy to explain things if asked for.
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Suixelo. 01/11/09, 11:24 am

@Static I think we all thought Rowan would win best in show because she always has, and because her costume was so in your face detail. No one knew how much work and little details, like the handpainting, Alex and Jess had put in until after. It was a shock, because we didn't know the details.

That was if you were referring to the gasps and gossip when they won >> If not, it's sad to think people would be catty on purpose D8 They are amazing <3

I think the main problem this thread address is communication. People don't know things until they are told, which confuses the people who do know. Or something. Haha >>
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 01/11/09, 11:27 am

Suixelo wrote:
I think the main problem this thread address is communication. People don't know things until they are told, which confuses the people who do know. Or something. Haha >>

I agree with this. :<
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Selphiroth. 01/11/09, 12:38 pm

^
YES.

Coming down to it, it is essentially THE problem.
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 552
Transforms into : Swiss army knife with a flash light
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 01/11/09, 12:39 pm

@Becky: Yeah, unfortunately it was people being deliberately nasty. People being surprised is one thing, but making stupid comments is another. I was surprised too, but when you think about it (and look closely) you can appreciate the differences :)

AND YES. Communication! So many walls of WORDS!!
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Rowan. 01/11/09, 01:51 pm

Lol actually Alex and Jess won Best in Show at Auckland last year as well ;D

It's always sad to hear about people being snarky about decisions, especially when it involves putting someone else down. Of course, unfortunately this is human nature ^^;

And yeah sometimes it is hard to understand the reason why someone wins when you aren't privy to all the thought behind the decision (heh, as friends of Alex and Jess I took a very very close look at their costumes so I know the effort and amazingness put into them Razz)

Future Cosplays | Lady Loki - Marvel || Loki - The Avengers || Sailor Neptune - Sailor Moon || Rogue -X-men Evolution || Prince Gumball - Adventure Time
Rowan
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1257
Transforms into : A free, free bird.
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down
http://ladyarbuthnott.deviantart.com

Post By Suixelo. 01/11/09, 02:21 pm

Rowan wrote:
Lol actually Alex and Jess won Best in Show at Auckland last year as well ;D
We realised afterwards XD <3 You hypnotise us? XD
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 01/11/09, 02:35 pm

neimhaille wrote:

To bring in another judge, or hand over, I'd have to know that they can fairly assess and make calls between a full suit of armour and a tailored jacket and a bias cut chiffon gown (all of which feature in every genre I've ever looked at). Ditto on a skit that was achingly beautiful and well timed/choreographed against a skit that had people rolling in the floors.
Because the contest has no real limit in that regard and it is possible that one day that will be the decision.
I'm sure there are a lot of people in the New Zealand Cosplay community that have the skills and knowledge to be able to fairly and accurately judge costomes. I can think of 5 people just off the top of my head.

JVCA wrote:

The other thing we have to remember though is that Bill's not likely to be happy about paying for more flights/accommodation than he already does (from the sounds of it, he's possibly a little stingy on this as is) - financially, for him, 2 judges is better than 3, even if it makes life a lot easier for the judges.

What about having 3 additional Judges, based in Auckland Wellington and Christchurch, that assist the judges and help with judging at the armageddon in their home city. Heck, there are plenty of people that would fly to the events at their own cost anyway, to help with the cosplay contest.
What else do you think people like JP do?
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1288
Transforms into : Megatron
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down
http://willu.net

Post By Pseudonym. 01/11/09, 02:40 pm

With these comments about people being snarky I just wanted to say that if anything I said came across as snarky towards the winners it was certainly not meant that way, I thought all the winners looked amazing and really deserved to win. I saw the work that the winning group had done on their costumes (the hand painted designs made my jaw drop).

My only reason for my comments in this whole matter earlier is how the categories/rules etc are set up.
Pseudonym
Almighty

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/11/09, 12:08 am

If people still dislike this then maybe cnz should have it's own mini competition 8D. Also people who entered could get consolation prizes. Like a little certificate or voucher. that way everyone who enters gets something.

//was too lazy to read through 4 pages

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 02/11/09, 02:30 am

i am always late to these things and i always give my 2 cents after it is all said and done

but i will give my opinion anyways.

Quite frankly, yes I was jealous when all the people who won (whom i all know personally), and yes perhaps it was rather unfair that 2 of the groups won two prizes and yes there were a reduced number of entrees this year.

But then after you get over all teh feelings of jealousy of animosity you really do see just how much better

and when you think about it more how much more effort it would of taken to put those cosplays together.

One of the reasons why people might of been surprised that Alex and Jess (the other Alex and Jess XDDD) won is because their cosplays were DECEPTIVELY simple. I am being dead serious here. If you had not been able to see them up close to look at all the details they put in. You would not of thought that these cosplays would win. (i was lucky i met them in the ticket line on saturday ... had to control myself not to touchy feel jen's cosplay all over with all the hand painted details and stuff ...)

If you spend even 5 min just walking around with the people who won (<3 Rowan) you get to look at all the finer details they put in which the glancing eye might miss.

Though my view might be biased towards them because I know them personally, but Jess, Jen and Alex's skit wowed me. It's the skit that left the most impression. And I know I would of never been able to figure out how to make a wig that eats everything like Jen's wig. And I could pretty much go on and on and on fangirling over Clan Biscuit, Rowan and the siblings. But I won't that would be considered spammage.

and there is a reason the category is called "Best dadada". That is teh reason they won even if it doubled up. It's because they were the best in that category. Not saying that the other people's cosplay was crap but yes they were the best.

I would not of entered my Suiseiseki this year if not for prior encouragement in the year from Michaela and Static. This year was purely for fun. If I looked disappointed, tired, annoyed that was from what had happened a couple of days before.

Quite frankly I am a lazy person by nature. But because the level of competition has been upped so much this year I have honestly been inspired to start making props, doing finishing properly and abandoning my "if you don't see it it's ok" motto (for competitions anyways 8D)

Just being able to help Rowan set up before she went on stage, and holding her scythe has inspired me to create something massive. To pull out all the stops. I can't use uni as an excuse because all the competition winners are in the same boat.

As for the split into the two new categories. I have no real opinion on it, i think ...

I do think its a good idea but I don't really think about it. Though I know I won't be entering novice (yes making Suiseiseki for me was relatively simple even if it was my first cosplay ... which has been remade several times except for the sleeves ...)

and as I am sure that Michaela and Angela would love to include more categories, we still also need to think about time allocation. Hence the shortness of our skits. I'm sure many of us would LOVE for the skit time limits to be longer but its all part of a challenge to put the skit together with everything we want in it within a limited time frame.

So yes this years competition has been ENTIRELY inspiring. I am so excited to go back to Malaysia now. Not for the food as I usually am. But for the fabric. For the silk. For the cottons. For the thread. For Jln Tuanku Abdul Rahman (even if my parents say its full of trannies and druggies). So much is happening next year. I have never been quite so excited to start making cosplays a year in advance.

Everyone who cosplays is an inspiration to me. Ilu gaiz <3 srsly. (haha hand embroidery anyone? 8DDD )

and also if people are too afraid to voice their opinions to the judges or ask questions from them. They are VERY approachable people. Some of the most approachable people I've met. They emit an aura which is inviting. Okay I'm starting to fangirl a little here. But yes. If you ever have any questions from them. I think its pretty safe to say to not hesitate and just ask them.
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Rowan. 02/11/09, 03:02 am

<3's Alena~

Future Cosplays | Lady Loki - Marvel || Loki - The Avengers || Sailor Neptune - Sailor Moon || Rogue -X-men Evolution || Prince Gumball - Adventure Time
Rowan
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 02/11/09, 03:28 am

ufufu i look forward to the competition next year Rowan <3 8D

i think the best thing about the cosplay competition in NZ is that so many of us are friends who have met several times

so we are both friends and rivals 8DD

and how this kind of relationship has made us able to share secrets and techniques on how to make things

*sobs brokenly in corner about hand embroidery*
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Narya. 02/11/09, 10:22 am

kagerouhi wrote:

and there is a reason the category is called "Best dadada". That is teh reason they won even if it doubled up. It's because they were the best in that category. Not saying that the other people's cosplay was crap but yes they were the best. .

OK - but isn't "best technical" always going to be one of the best cosplays? Either the best group or the best individual? If you have a prize that is always going to be a double up, why have it?
Narya
Le grande

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post By Rowan. 02/11/09, 10:57 am

Like Angela (I think) previously stated, I believe, Best Technical could go to someone who had a really well tailored suit, which wouldn't necessarily be in the running for the other prizes. As always it depends on the other cosplays entered. And like it's been said, there were fewer entries at Auckland this year, which may have contributed to doubling up of prizes.

Rowan
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 02/11/09, 11:17 am

kagerouhi wrote:
ufufu i look forward to the competition next year Rowan <3 8D

i think the best thing about the cosplay competition in NZ is that so many of us are friends who have met several times

so we are both friends and rivals 8DD

and how this kind of relationship has made us able to share secrets and techniques on how to make things

I love how we are all both friends and rivals. I think it means we can appreciate the effort that has been put into cosplays more than what we would do for a stranger, partly because since they are friends we also want them all to do well.

Rowan wrote:
And like it's been said, there were fewer entries at Auckland this year, which may have contributed to doubling up of prizes.

Yeah, I think this is mostly the reason why there was doubling up in prizes. If you want them to go to more people, then you should try harder at making an impressive costume. We know all the winners were the people who put in the most effort, tears, sweat and blood xDDD. They are all people to be looked up to with their cosplays as well.
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster

Back to top Go down

Post By Narya. 02/11/09, 11:18 am

But some people don't enter because of the increase in double-prizing...
Narya
Le grande

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 02/11/09, 11:24 am

Then some people should work out what they want.

Honestly, I really want to win something. But I'm not going to go on and on about the competition having flaws because I don't get anything. People who do, deserve it. I want to be the best in show one day, I haven't been yet. It's not the competitions fault.

Yes, I understand we all spend so much on costumes & invest so much time. It's not going to pay off, really, unless you do get that top acknowledgement. You will get it if you're the best, not if the competition's prize alotment is changed.
{Well actually. I find it pays off when I actually put it all on for the first time. >.<}

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By sakuramiyabi. 02/11/09, 11:26 am

sorry this will sound rather harsh

but is their own fault for giving into intimidation of the quality of work we have in NZ

admittedly out level is FAR from other countries with larger cosplay communities (e.g. Japan, USA, etc)

but i too am intimidated by what people i know can produce but at the same time i am inspired

so it is up to those people who are intimidated to find the guts through that intimidation and make something that could defeat those people who win double prizes.

it has been said and done. there were much less entries this year. and admittedly few were of that great quality (no offence to anyone ok ... i know how much blood sweat tears and sleepless nights youve put into your cosplays ... when im the one there listening to you while you do stuff 8DDD)
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/11/09, 11:27 am

@Narya: I don't know that that's fair to say, actually - what I mean is, you're stating that as fact, and that's not necessarily true - we haven't had long enough to see if there's actually any evidence of that yet. This is only the second time there's been a double prizing, and the april events certainly didn't suffer in number of entries at least - IMO, the auckland event suffered in entries not because Rowan was given two prizes last year, but because of the intimidation caused by such amazing costumes.
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Icarus. 02/11/09, 11:32 am

Well, this is a competition. You win by being the best.
If you want that placing, then work for it, it's as simple as that, don't you think so?
Whether competitors get more than one prize or not it's all about the entry that can go above the rest to claim that placing.

I mean, though it's a competition, you're able to see the behind the scenes on such amazing costumes! And you can learn so many new things! Prize or not, I'm pretty grateful to just be in the judging.

[edit: just realised how I worded it made me sound like an a-hole, my bad]
Icarus
ACB King '10

Number of posts : 3485
Transforms into : a dancing octopus
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down
http://icarus-cos.tumblr.com/

Post By sakuramiyabi. 02/11/09, 01:02 pm

entirely agreed wtih icarus <33 and no lovely you didnt sound like an a-hole made perfect sense 8D
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 02/11/09, 02:32 pm

i think that sometimes people get a little too caught up in the competition and the notion of winning something, and forget about sportsmanship and what we're all really here for in the end.

while it's nice to get a prize after spending a lot of time and effort on your costume, the knowledge that you've made something to the best of your abilities, that you get to showcase it off in front of an audience, receive appreciation and knowing that you've learnt a lot in the process should be enough.

personally, i haven't won anything in '09- not complaining!- but just doing the skits at chch made me feel happy that i could give the audience some entertainment (and that i could entertain children... oddly enough, the prinny and spinel sun attract kids like moths to a flame.)

TL;DR; okay, so you didn't win something. you'll get over it and move on. there'll be another competition you should try to aspire to-- in fact, there's FOUR chances to enter comps next year, with the addition of NZAE. if anything, you should keep working at what you're doing so you can compete with the talent in NZ- practice makes perfect etc. and now that i don't know what i'm saying anymore, i'm going to stfu

cheers

SUBVERSIVE GURGLINGS -- A COSPLAY BLOG || latest post: how to make a katamari head [katamari damacy]
LEVEL UP - a ke$ha's tik tok pokemon parody

h.d. theory.

'united we sew, divided we derp.'
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/11/09, 02:40 pm

Lucy wins.